The Jacqueline Shearer Memorial Fund
This Fund was established by Jacqueline’s family to honor her amazing strength and to carry on her legacy. Jacqueline was diagnosed with a brain tumor at the age of 11, and fought her battle with this terrible disease for 11 and ½ years. She demonstrated incredible courage, grace and dignity throughout her fight. She touched many lives along the way and has left a lasting impression on everyone who knew her. You can learn more about Jacqueline and her story here.
One of the objectives of the Jacqueline Shearer Memorial Fund is to provide limited financial assistance for children and young adult patients (up to 40 years of age) with significant financial needs during their cancer treatment. Limited financial assistance (full or partial) may be provided in the following categories:
- Hair Prosthetics
- Prescription and Off-Label Medications
- Travel Expenses for Medical Care
- Patient Assistance Dogs (Seizure Detection, Seeing Eye dogs, etc.)
Applications for financial assistance will be reviewed on a weekly basis and awarded within four weeks of submission to those who demonstrate the greatest financial need in one of the above areas. Considerations for other expenses will be made on a case-by-case basis. Financial assistance is only provided as direct payment to the payee. Funds will not be paid directly to the patient. Please note applicants must be approved before funds will be awarded.
Qualifications For Financial Assistance
In order to qualify for assistance from the Fund, all of the qualifications must be met:
- Patients must be under 40 years of age;
- Patients must be in active treatment for a cancer diagnosis at the time of application;
- Physician or other health care provider must be able to verify through written documentation the type of treatment the patient is currently receiving and how long the patient has been in treatment;
- Patients/Guardians must provide relevant financial documentation (copy of a bill, statement, quote, etc.); and
- Patients/Guardians must demonstrate financial need when applying.
In addition to the qualifications listed above, patients must be in active treatment at one of the following cancer centers where the Ulman Cancer Fund has an onsite Patient Navigator:
- Children’s National Medical Center – Washington, DC
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center – Towson, MD
- Johns Hopkins University – Baltimore, MD
- Medstar Health Cancer Network– Baltimore, MD
- Walter Reed National Military Medical Center – Bethesda, MD
Application For Financial Assistance
In order to be eligible for assistance, you must meet the qualifications above and complete the form below. Please note that written documentation from your treating physician or relevant clinical care team member that includes the type of treatment you are currently receiving and how long you have been in treatment is required to be considered for financial assistance.
For questions regarding the Jacqueline Shearer Memorial Fund, please contact us at [email protected].